Presenter: Presenter: Laura Barbanel, Ed.D., Hindie M. Klein, PsyD
These workshops offer 4 Continuing Education Credits
All webinars in this series are recorded and will not grant live credits.
Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:00 PM EST - 2:00 PM EST
Tuesday, December 8th 2020, 12:00 PM EST - 2:00 PM EST
Practical Psychoanalysis: Basic Principles and Curative Factors
Presenter: Laura Barbanel, Ed.D.
This webinar will be a conversation about Practical psychoanalysis. Psychoanalysis, although sometimes seen as esoteric and not pertinent to today’s world, is the basis for all other forms of psychotherapy. Its principles are important to understand to work with patients. Psychoanalysis as a “practical” method will be the focus. Central to the discussion will be the clinical benefits and curative factors. The webinar will address the power of the work through understanding of the basic principles of psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic/psychodynamic treatment, including developmental issues, issues of the unconscious, and of defense. The treatment, including boundaries and limitations will be discussed. Learning will be largely through clinical material. How to begin the work, how to continue the work and how to terminate will be covered. This webinar will be the first of a two-part sequence.
Dr. Barbanel is a psychologist, psychoanalyst in Brooklyn Heights, NY, working with individuals, couples, and families. She has trained psychologists, social workers, and counselors in psychodynamic psychotherapy over the past few decades both through her work as the director of a graduate program in psychology at Brooklyn College, her faculty and directorship at the Manhattan Institute and privately.
- Participants will be able to describe three main principles of psychoanalytic theory.
- Participants will be able to describe the goals of psychoanalytic treatment.
- Participants will be able to describe the curative factors in psychoanalytic treatment
- Participants will be able to describe important curative features of the patient/analyst relationship.
Practical Psychoanalysis: The Patient/Therapist Relationship and Dreams
Presenter: Hindie M. Klein, PsyD
The second part of this two part series on Practical Psychoanalysis will focus on the relationship between the analyst and the patient and on Dreams. Each of these phenomena are critical to the analytic process. Issues to be explored in Part 2 will include:
*The therapeutic alliance, both real and transferential--How the patient/ analyst relationship develops during the analysis
* The Transference/Countertransference matrix--the intricate conscious and unconscious interweaving of the patient's transference and the therapists countertransference and how they impact each other.
*The use of dreams, "the royal road to the Unconscious"; how therapists can listen to and interpret the patient's dream. Dreams will be examined from both a psychoanalytic and neuroscience perspective.
Ample time will be provided for clinical examples and for questions and discussion.
Hindie M. Klein PsyD is a Psychologist/Psychoanalyst in private practice in Brooklyn, NY and a senior clinical consultant at Ohel/BaisEzra. She is a board member of NEFESH International.
- Participants will be able to define the key concepts of the Therapeutic relationship, both from the perspective of the Real Relationship and the Transferential Relationship
- Participants will be able to define and summarize the Transference/Countertransference Matrix and how it informs and fuels the treatment
- Participants will be able to define key concepts in dream analysis and interpretation from a classical perspective
- Participants will be able to define key concepts in dream analysis from current neuroscientific findings
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.